This is a winter easy peasy favourite and with the cheesy croutons children love it and its a great way to get children to eat lots of vegetables! Its also super quick the from the first chop to eating, its 30 minutes!
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2/3 medium leeks trimmed and chopped into 1 cm lengths
- 2/3 potatoes pealed and chopped into 1 cm lengths
- 1 1/2 pint chicken stock (You can use vegetable stock)
- Handful of fresh Parsley Chopped
- Knob butter
For the Croutons
- 2 Slices of bread (white is best but you can use brown)
- A good handful of cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Saute onions in the butter until soft in a large saucepan.
- Add all the rest of ingredients including 1 1/2 pints of stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15/20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- While soup is cooking slice bread into 2cm squares. Fry on a high heat for 3/4 minutes until golden brown at this point turn off the heat sprinkle over grated cheese and stir/turn until all the cheese has melted into bread and gone a golden colour. Remove croutons from the pan and leave to cool.
- Blend soup until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Serve immediately with croutons served on top! Delicious for the whole family!