My photo
10 years on and I'm still enjoying modelling. With four adorable children 5 and under to feed - not forgetting a very hungry husband as well - making quick healthy tasty food means I can balance my work and home life....that's the plan anyway!! I'm happy to share my tried and tested favourite recipes with other parents. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do..... Love Gemma xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thursday 2 December 2010

Granny's Cottage Pie

My agency rang me yesterday saying a client
wanted to book me for a book cover it was only head and shoulders shot and they were aware I'm eight months pregnant. All they needed was a quick picture of me to check that I didn't have a fat pregnancy face!! So I emailed across a quick snap of myself and waited!! This part of modelling makes me laugh they are so brutally honest, you have to have the thickest skin. When I received the call to say I'd booked the job I did a little dance, I can rest assured in eyes of the modelling world I don't have a fat pregnancy face! Job went super well today. I had to look moody whilst venerable into the lens all day!! Its a tough job!
Cottage pie, this is my Mums recipe and a goody on cold days give it a go!

Ingredients
  • 1 kg steak mince - there will be no fat
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 carrot chopped
  • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 250 ml beef stock
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 5/6 potatoes pealed, chopped for the topping
  • 50 g butter to mix into the mash

Method

  1. Fry the mince until brown in a large pan. Add the onion, carrot and cook until onions softened.
  2. Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock and flour bring to a simmer stirring until it thickens, turn the heat down.
  3. Boil the potatoes until soft. Mash and add the butter mix well.
  4. Pour the mince mixture into a large oven proof dish. Leave to cool a little then carefully spoon over the mash, don't just put all the mash in the middle as it will not spread evenly put little blobs all over the top of the mince and then fork neatly over the top! I always make a pretty pattern with the fork!
  5. Cook a 180 / Gas 5 for 20/25 minutes until mash is going golden at the edges. Serve as it is its great on cold days. I always do enough to save and freeze the girls some for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment