My photo
10 years on and I'm still enjoying modelling. With four adorable children 5 and under to feed - not forgetting a very hungry husband as well - making quick healthy tasty food means I can balance my work and home life....that's the plan anyway!! I'm happy to share my tried and tested favourite recipes with other parents. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do..... Love Gemma xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Friday 13 January 2012

Frog Prince Cake


River is one tomorrow. I cannot believe its been a year, time flies when you have 3 children! This time last year I was due a year on and I have this adorable monkey boy whom I adore. I'm really looking forward to spoiling him tomorrow!
This cake is really easy to make and perfect for all small children. Be smug and make your own Birthday Cake!


Ingredients For Cake
4 oz self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 oz marg
4 oz caster sugar
2 eggs
Ingredients For Decoration
2 500g packets of ready made white icing
green/black/pink/yellow food colouring
3 0z marg
1 oz icing sugar
half jar of jam
Method
Pre heat oven to 180. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. I love this one stage sponge cake mix. Make sure you use the baking powder so it rises as it is a one step cake. Pour mixture into a 20 cm round greased cake tin. Cook for 30/40 minutes. turn out and cool.

Decoration
Mix the marg and icing sugar together to make butter icing if its not sweet enough add more icing sugar! Once the cake has cooled split it in half and sandwich it with the butter icing. Half the cake and stand upright on a cake board and sandwich with jam, paint jam all over the cake so it stays moist.

Dye one and half packets of the ready made icing green. I dyed mine by kneading it in a bowl adding 1 tsp at a time of the food colouring until I got the green colour I liked. Divide the remaining ready roll icing into four amounts dye them pink, black, yellow and keep one white the same way as above.
Roll the green icing out to 1cm thick lift and lay over the cake move and shape into place with the warmth of your hands cut away the excess. Roll legs, arms, toes, eyes, smile etc and stick in place with water on a small paint brush. You can mould the features into shape with your hands and stick, smooth with water on a small paint brush!
Roll out the yellow icing for the crown into a rectangle shape and cut the points with a sharp knife form into a round crown shape and stick in place with water on a paint brush.
Its best to try and the shape the features the correct shape with the warmth of your hands before you stick them on the cake but it can be moved and smoothed when in place. You can stick the features on with Royal icing (Icing sugar mixed with water to make a paste) if you want I always use water to hold the bits in place and it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment