My photo
10 years on and I'm still enjoying modelling. With four adorable children 5 and under to feed - not forgetting a very hungry husband as well - making quick healthy tasty food means I can balance my work and home life....that's the plan anyway!! I'm happy to share my tried and tested favourite recipes with other parents. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do..... Love Gemma xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Saturday 18 December 2010

Apple & Tomato Christmas Chutney



I was going to make a snowman but its just to cold so we made chutney's instead!
About a year ago I went on a chutney and jam cooking course it made me realise how easy it is to make them. It doesn't take long, its not complicated and it has a great smugness factor. Look at mine and Merina's faces! Makes about 6 jars, and a great Christmas present!

Ingredients
  • 2 tins chopped tomatoes
  • 2 tins chopped apples (You can use cooking apples chopped and cooked but I like the easy option!)
  • 16 oz currants
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 3 tsp Chinese five spice
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 30/40ml balsamic vinegar
  • 150 g brown sugar
  • 150 g Jam sugar
  • salt and pepper

Method
  1. Add all the ingredients into a large pan.
  2. Reduce by half on a high heat stirring every now and then.
  3. Mash if needed.
  4. Decant into jars, I sterilise the jars by boiling them in a big pan of boiling water for a few minutes each.
  5. Label stand back and admire!

No comments:

Post a Comment