Merina's first day at school went so well. She looked sweet, geeky and a little shy, it melted my heart. Tallulah has had her first day at pre school today. I picked her up at lunch time, she had paint all over her face, clothes and hair!
So as a reminder of summer I made paella but a child friendly version!
1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped/crushed
- 2 tomatoes pealed, seeded and chopped (but I cheated and used 1 tin of chopped tomatoes drained)
- 1 red pepper cut into thin slices (I used a jar of red peppers they are already cooked and prepared for you)
- 2 chicken breast cut into strips
- 2 tsp paprika
- 11 oz paella rice
- 2 pints chicken stock added slowly
- 1 large pinch of saffron
- 10 /15 large prawns (children under the age of 2 are not recommended to eat prawns so miss them out!)
- a good handful of fresh parsley chopped
- If its for adults you can add lots of different shellfish but chicken and prawns works really well as a family dinner.
- In a large shallow pan add the chopped onion, garlic, chicken, tomatoes, pepper and paprika and cook on a medium heat in 2/3 tbsp of olive oil for 10 Min's.
- stir in the paella rice allow to absorb the juices.
- slowly start adding the stock stirring occasionally and add the saffron. Bring to boil and then simmer until all stock absorbed.
- just before all the stock has been absorbed stir in the prawns and cook for 5 Min's until the prawns are cooked.
- stir in the fresh parsley and serve with a wedge of lemon. Enjoy the taste of summer!